The Little Zanzibar (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia)
Is probably the most exciting new indoor plant that has come to the Australian market in recent years. The variety was found by a prominent grower in India who understood the qualities of this plant first and Protected this plant by a plant patent in Europe, USA and Japan, Oud’s Amazone Trading Pty.Ltd. (OAT) brought Zenzii to Australia 3 years ago and is the only licensed grower in Australia and New Zealand, PBR has been applied for here.
The owner of Ouds Amazone Trading Kas Oud, was also responsible for bringing the original variety Zanzibar Gem to Australia, about 18 years ago, since then Gem’s popularity is still growing and is almost unmatched by any other indoor plant for decades, just because of the toughness and resilience of Zanzibar Gem in low light condition and little need for care “Thrives on neglect’ made an honest catchcry!
He believes that Zanzibar Zenzii is an even more attractive plant, being more compact and stylish because of the dark green leaves, short nodes between the leaves gives the plant a unique shape and character, the thicker bowed leaf stems give this ‘little Zanzibar’ that ‘robust’ look.
Zenzii is slower growing then the Gem, but that can be an advantage as time gets away so quick anyway, Zenzii will give you joy for many years and will always be a talking point in any one’s home or office.
Caring for your Zanzibar Zenzii is easy
- Do not over-water it.
- Over watering causes the underground tuber to rot.
Watering once a month is plenty. Water less in colder conditions.
- Add a slow release fertiliser to the pot in spring
- Do not worry about pests – very few affect the Zanzibar Zenzii.
- When it is time to re-pot you will see or feel a slight bulge in the pot.
- Re-pot using a very free draining potting mix. You can even add a few pebbles or gravel to the mix to keep it free draining.
- Ensure your Zanzibar Zenzii is kept out of direct sun.
- They will flourish to a beautiful dark green in less light conditions.
- Zenzii will stay shorter than Gem, will grow to maximum of 80 cm tall will grow under low light condition like the gem
- It will keep its compact shape